This program is for volunteer groups, students, local businesses, neighborhood organizations or individuals that would like to contribute to keeping their local public parks looking beautiful!
Tasks available for the Adopt-a-Park program include litter pickup, spreading mulch in planted beds or around tree rings, planting annuals and perennials (depending on the time of the year) and/or other activities that will be coordinated with your Adopt-a-Park contact.
All needed tools and materials will be supplied by the Skokie Park District. A sign recognizing the adopters will also be placed within the park. The adoption commitment begins on April 1 (or when the park is initially adopted) and ends December 1. Please complete and send in a form to join the program.
Adopt-a-Park Guidelines & Safety Recommendations
The Skokie Park District appreciates groups, organizations and individuals taking ownership of their public parks. The following rules are provided for the safety of those committed to extending themselves and working to keep the parks of Skokie beautiful.
- Only place litter in Skokie Park District trash receptacles or those provided by the park district.
- The Group/Organization/Individual shall stay within the confines of the park and not venture onto roadways.
- The Group/Organization/Individual shall not pick up any large or hazardous items. These items shall be reported to the district contact person for pick up.
- Any specially requested materials or tools needed will be scheduled with their park district contact person no less than 48 hours before they are needed.
- When performing work, it is suggested that gloves and other environmental precautions are taken-such as sunscreen, adequate water for hydration, insect repellent, etc.
- Closed toe shoes are required for any work completed.
- Groups/Organizations/Individuals should notify their park district contact person with times and dates of planned work/cleanup.
- Groups/Organizations/Individuals shall not perform work during hazardous weather conditions.
- The Skokie Park District has the right to terminate an agreement if a group/organization/individual does not meet the terms and conditions of the agreement.
- Be cautious of any poisonous plants, such as poison ivy.
- One adult supervisor shall be present for every five youths under the age of 18 performing work.
- The park district asks that all work be started after 7 a.m. and completed before sundown.
- The park district requires that all work be completed by no less than two individuals.
- The park district strongly encourages having a cellular phone on site in case of emergency.
- Volunteers seeking service hours will coordinate with their district contact person to track the service time.
- Please do not pull weeds or flowers without permission from the site coordinator.
Work will be completed under the supervision of a Parks representative.