In 2019, the Skokie Park District board of commissioners approved an amendment to the district’s animal and pet ordinance, allowing dogs on leashes on Skokie Park District property, with some restrictions.
Skokie Park District Animal and Pet Ordinance.
- Dogs must be licensed, vaccinated and have a current rabies inoculation.
- Owners are responsible for removing any excrement deposited by their dog.
- All dogs shall be restrained by a leash that is no longer than eight feet in length, with dog owners maintaining physical control of their dogs at all times. Retractable leashes and electronic leashes are prohibited.
- Restricted areas, facilities and parks include:
- District facilities (except during district-approved dog related classes)
- Weber Park Golf Course
- Tot Learning Center grounds
- Emily Oaks Nature Center grounds
- Skokie Sport Park grounds (with the exception of Sports Park East and its parking lot)
- Parks under half an acre in size, including: Carol, Chippewa, Menominee, Pawnee, and Playtime Parks, as well as Kawaga Gardens.
- The following parks during school hours when children are present: McNally, Schack, Sequoya and Timber Ridge Parks.
- Swimming pools and spray grounds
- Outdoor fitness equipment areas
- Sand volleyball courts
- Garden Plots
- Playgrounds & tot lots
- Picnic shelters (except at permitted picnics)
- Tennis, basketball, pickleball, futsal, and petanque courts
- Sports fields during play (leashed dogs are allowed on the sidelines)
- Summer camp sites when campers are present
Park signage regarding dogs will be updated throughout the district as time allows.
Please contact Corrie Guynn at (847) 929-7802 with any questions regarding the ordinance.