(1.1.18) But for a few finishing touches, the renovation of the Weber Leisure Center and Fitness First is complete! Please join us on Sunday, February 4 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. for our Grand Reopening. The event will feature a ribbon cutting, and fun for the whole family, including children's entertainment, youth classes, birthday party activities, free Fitness First access and free group exercise samplers. Additionally, visitors may win a birthday party or program discounts.
Scroll down this page to check out a year's worth of photos, documenting the entire renovation project!
(12.8.17) The lobby of the Weber Center receives a few of its finishing touches, including decorative panels that will provide a pinch point for customers who need to check in before finding their Weber Center destination. The lobby and stairwell also features brand new tile.
(12.1.17) The nearly-complete Weber Leisure Center exterior glistens today on a rare warm December morning. The front lobby and adjacent stairwell tile work is nearly done, with the hallway to the gymnasium nearly finished as well. The gym lobby family changing area and restroom is also coming along, with the final gym lobby tile being laid outside its door.
(11.23.17) The exterior of the Weber Leisure Center is almost complete, with a bit of concrete near the circle drive needed and park services staff planting spring bulbs. The first floor hallway and offices are also near completion, with doors, carpet and windows going in.
(11.17.17) The first floor lobby and hallway continue to move along, with ceiling and floor tiles being installed, offices taking shape and the family restroom being tiled.
(11.10.17) The big renovation news today is the installation of fancy tile in the first floor hallway. The other big news, which is only remotely related to the renovation, is that the front of the Weber Center, currently in the final stages of concrete work and landscaping, is now under a half an inch of snow!
(11.3.17) The Weber Leisure Center first floor offices are now framed in and wired, with walls up and a drop ceiling ready to go in. The new stairway is also now open, with temporary flooring. The gymnasium lobby is being finished, also with new flooring. (See last week's story below.)
(10.26.17) The Weber Leisure Center continues to undergo first floor renovation, with new offices now taking shape. The new stairway is also now open, with temporary flooring. The gymnasium lobby is being finished, also with new flooring.
(10.20.17) The Weber Leisure Center project made great strides this week, finishing the front of the building, and opening it's new activity room. The new Kids First babysitting room is also open, with doors leading into the activity room, which staff and children can use when it is not otherwise in use. The first floor main lobby and east hallway offices are being framed, with new flooring coming soon. The new main stairway is set to open next week.
(10.13.17) The Weber Leisure Center project was all about one thing this week. The visually-striking demolition of the first floor main lobby and east hallway. The new configuration will modernize the lobby and front desk area, and create five much-needed staff offices in the east hallway, across from Fitness First.
(10.6.17) The Weber Leisure Center project moved ahead again this week with progress being made on the enhancement of Room 107 and work ongoing on the adjacent new Kids First babysitting room. The main staircase structure in the front of the building is also is taking shape visually.
(9.22.17) The Weber Leisure Center project moved forward this week with the renovation of Room 107 and the former Pilates First space. The large multipurpose room will be enhanced, with the Kids First babysitting operation moving into the adjacent room, more than doubling its current size. The main staircase in the front lobby also is taking shape.
(9.15.17) The Weber Leisure Center project moved forward this week with the completion and move-in of Pilates First, completion near of the second floor hallway and running track lobby, and a look at the new, much-wider front lobby staircase.
(9.8.17) The Weber project continues with the second floor receiving a new ceiling, lights and floor, the track lobby and Pilates room getting a new floor, the Fitness First restrooms getting fancy new identification decals, and the outside glass stairway now enclosed.
(9.1.17) The Weber renovation project continues outside, with the new larger staircase structure off the main lobby going in. The steel stairs and new handrails have been built, with the structure's outside glass now being installed. Upstairs, the new Pilates Studio, formerly the old spin room, is moving along, set for completion in early September.
(8.22.17) Now that the beautiful new Fitness First health club is complete and running all cylinders, the Weber renovation project moves upstairs to work on the new Pilates Studio, formerly the old spin room, set for completion in early September. So where did the spin room go? Into Fitness First, behind a cool new curved glass wall. Outside, the new larger staircase off the main lobby is going in, with steel stairs built and new handrails soon to be finished.
(8.11.17) Fitness First is back! With a few final touches to be completed in the next week, Fitness First has moved back into its beautifully renovated old digs and the reviews are already spectacular. With electrical boxes covering electrical cords, a new arrangement, a new glassed-in spin room, new locker rooms worthy of a four-star hotel, a newly-configured entrance and front desk area, a new manager's office, and a brand new logo, the Skokie Park District's health club is now set for the 2020s! (Members: Please scroll down to last week's procedural reminders.)
Next week: See a Weber Leisure Center construction update, as the renovation of the entire building continues to move toward its October conclusion.
(8.4.17) The renovation of the Fitness First health club is coming to an end next week. In preparation for the move back into the fitness center, Fitness First in the gymnasium will be closed Tuesday, August 8 through Thursday, August 10. The new and improved Fitness First health club will re-open on Friday, August 11 at 5 a.m. Group exercise classes will continue as scheduled during the temporary fitness center shutdown.
Members! Please read the following information regarding the new Fitness First.
Fitness First Member Check-in Procedures
- To enter, all active members must swipe their Fitness First membership card over the card reader at the turnstile and wait for the green arrow.
- After you see the green arrow, the barrier panels will open and allow you to pass through.
- If membership is expired or not active due to a hold, the turnstile will not open and you will need to return to the Weber Center customer service desk for assistance.
- Any time a member leaves the fitness center they must keep their membership card on them in order to re-enter the fitness center via the turnstile.
Group Exercise Procedures
- Members must swipe in at the Weber Center customer service desk to receive a class pass card.
- We recommend getting a class pass on your way past the customer service desk to the fitness center.
- Spin participants with a valid membership do not need a class pass. Participant will need to swipe in at the turnstile and go to the spin studio.
- Non-member participants must purchase either a daily pass or drop-in class fee at the Weber Center Customer Service Desk to obtain class pass card.
Personal Training and Massage Therapy Access
Clients that are Fitness First members
- Client will need to purchase and pull tickets at the Weber Center customer service desk.
- Client will need Fitness First membership card to access the fitness center.
Clients that are Non-Members
- Client will need to purchase and pull tickets at the Weber Center customer service desk.
- Trainer and/or Therapist will need to greet client in the main lobby and escort them into the fitness center.
Fitness First Transactions
All transactions will take place at the Weber Center customer service desk, located in the main lobby as you enter the facility. Transactions include
- Membership registration
- Membership ID card print and re-print
- Request of a membership hold, reactivation, transfer, or cancellation
- Purchase of guest and daily memberships
- Purchase of personal training, massage therapy, and Pilates First sessions
- Obtain tickets for personal training, massage therapy, and Pilates First
- Membership or billing questions
Fitness Locker Room Lockers
All locks will be accessed using a combination. No keys or individual padlocks are necessary.
To lock your locker
- Close the door
- Make sure knob is pointing to the unlock symbol and set any 4 digit code
- Turn knob to "lock" symbol
- Scramble the dials
- Re-enter the 4 digit code you set when locking
- Turn the knob to point to the "unlock" symbol
- Open locker
- Scramble dials for next user
- If two people approach from different directions, the first person to the turnstile will need to swipe through before the second person can swipe
- Following someone in who has swiped without swiping your own card will trigger an alarm
- Swiping your card from inside the fitness center to let someone in will trigger the alarm
- Standing in the turnstile lane too long will trigger an alarm
Towels will still be available at the fitness desk. Locker rooms will be open including showers, steam room, and sauna! As a friendly reminder, please remember your toiletries if you are planning on taking a shower.
Fitness Floor Advisors will be available to assist you should you have any questions. We are very excited about the updated Fitness First and are looking forward to sharing it with you!
If move back date changes, we will notify members as soon as possible.
(7.28.17) Renovation of the Weber Center continues to tool along with Fitness First just days away from moving back into their old space. Pictured below is the new Fitness First front desk and locker room lighting. The second floor's old spin room, soon to be the new Pilates First studio, has been demolished and the glassed-in stairway in the Weber Center main lobby is taking shape. The entire project is expected to be completed in October.
(7.21.17) The focus this week is on Fitness First, expected to be complete and ready for move-in in early August. Pictured below are knee walls, which will hide cords that once posed trip hazards, new entryway lockers, new mens' room lockers, a shower room with new floor tile, locker room sinks, and a new sauna, as well as a completed new board/programming room.
(7.14.17) The new Weber Leisure Center is taking shape with progress on the new stairwell tower being made, the Fitness First locker rooms looking modern and sharp, fun Fitness First carpet going in, and the new board & programming room ceiling nearly finished. Fitness First is set for an August move to its new space with the Weber Center expected to be completed by October.
(7.7.17) The new Weber Leisure Center construction keeps chugging along with the new stairwell tower being framed in, the Fitness First locker rooms shaping up, the glassed-in spin room looking good, and the new board & programming room ceiling going in. Fitness First is set for an August move to its new space with the Weber Center expected to be completed by October.
(6.30.17) The new Weber Leisure Center construction is moving along with sheathing going up over the new stairwell tower, paint and tile showing up everywhere in Fitness First, windows going up over the spin room, and the new board & programming room floor complete. Fitness First is set for an August move to its new space with the Weber Center expected to be completed by October.
(6.23.17) The new Weber Leisure Center continues to take shape, with the new board & programming room wall near completion, Fitness First drywall now painted, and men's locker room wall tile grouted. Fitness First is on track for a mid-August move to its new space, with the Weber Center set to be completed by October.
(6.16.17) The new Weber Leisure Center is starting to visually become clear, with the new glass staircase now framed, the new board & programming room floor and ceiling taking shape, Fitness First drywall now up, and men's locker room wall tile installed. Fitness First is on track for a mid-August move to its new, luxurious digs, with the Weber Center redo set to be completed by October.
(6.1.17) Weber renovation is taking shape, with the new glass staircase now framed, the new board/programming room looking good, and Fitness First walls going up, including a look at the health club's new spin room. Fitness First is on track for a late July/early August move to its new, luxurious digs, with the Weber Center redo set to be completed by October.
(5.12.17) Renovation of the Weber Leisure Center continues, with the new Programming & Board Room being fireproofed (pardon the mess), the new stairway tower being readied for build out, as well as the Fitness First entry way and locker rooms being framed! (Scroll down to see the demolition and artist renderings of the buildings' final look.)
(5.5.17) Renovation of the Weber Leisure Center continues, with the new Programming & Board Room taking shape, as well as Fitness First infrastructure moving right along!
Board room renovation
- Concrete floor poured
- Drywall almost complete
- Partition wall being installed
- Plumbing complete
- HVAC underway
- 85% of walls installed
- Concrete floors poured
(3.23.17) Narrow interior stairway be gone! The Weber Center demolition continues!
(3.17.17) Demolition is underway at the Weber Center. Make way for bigger and better locker rooms.
Fitness First relocated to gymnasium
(3.13.17) The Fitness First health club was successfully relocated to the Weber gymnasium on March 13. Some important information:
- The front entrance of the Weber Leisure Center has been closed for construction. Access to the building is now through the west entrance.
- Fitness members should check in at the Weber front desk before proceeding to the gymnasium.
- Restrooms are located in the west hallway, between the west entrance and the front desk.
- Towel service is available, as are lockers and change rooms. (You must bring your own lock.)
- Showers will not be available until construction is completed (estimated for July).
- Bag/coat check is available at the Weber Leisure Center front desk.
Project set to kickoff in March 2017
(1.13.17) The much-anticipated renovation of the Weber Leisure Center is set to begin in mid-March. The project will feature:
Weber Center exterior after renovation (click here for larger image)
- Fitness First health club renovation, including a complete locker room rebuild,
- a new Weber Leisure Center lobby, new first and second floor corridors with renovated office space, and a new gym viewing area and track lobby,
- a new and expanded main staircase,
- a new spin room and new Pilates studio,
- new rooftop HVAC units, allowing customized air conditioning by studio, including Fitness First, group exercise and spin rooms,
- a new childcare room with adjacent multipurpose rooms, which will improve service and broaden birthday party possibilities, and
- a renovated board room to accommodate a variety classes.
Staff plan to continue with all regular classes and programming at Weber and Fitness First during the 8-month renovation, with some programs moving during various phases of the project.
Weber Renovation Schedule
Artist Drawings of the future weber leisure center interior
New Weber Leisure Center Main Lobby
New Stairway - view from outside building
New Stairway - view from inside
New Fitness First entrance and customer service desk
Fitness First locker room
Fitness First locker room